Friday, August 26, 2022

JAI #618 - Just Add a Colour Combo

Are you in the mood for colour? This week at Just Add Ink we've got a colour challenge for you - check it out:


I've made a mixed media card featuring a Splendid Fairy-wren (aka splendid wren/blue wren) as my focal point - specifically a male wren in his breeding plumage. Apparently, the rest of the year they're a dull brown! I love the pop of colour he gives to the neutral, earthy tones around him. 


I didn't have Pacific point - it's one of the very few SU colours I've never liked, so when I moved I just didn't bring any with me. I've used orchid oasis as my blue instead.  

For my greenery I began with some old olive cardstock then ink smooshed the matching ink over it, layering and drying until I was happy with it for variation and depth of colour. The background is watercolour card, again ink smooshed and stamped with crumb cake, while the bird was cut from basic white and coloured with alcohol markers.

Materials used:

  • stamps - Music & Advert (Tim Holtz)
  • card - crumb cake, watercolour, basic white, old olive
  • dies - Feathered Friends, Holiday Greens, Mini Holiday Greens, Fall Foliage (all Tim Holtz), stitched rectangle
  • inks - crumb cake, old olive (SU), antique linen, brushed corduroy, vintage photo (Distress oxides - Tim Holtz)
  • other - blending brush, picket fence distress paint, paintbrush, black rhinestone, Dimensionals, Small Talk stickers (Tim Holtz), craft foam, orchid oasis Stampin' Blends, Copic marker B06, black marker

My fellow teammates have plenty more samples to inspire you so do check out the JAI blog, and of course we'd love you to join the challenge and see what you come up with for these colours.

Thanks for calling in.

Cheers
Kerry

1 comment:

Jan said...

This is quite wonderful Kerry! Your background has so much detail and interest and I love the touches of frosting to your spray of leaves. You with no Pacific Point is on par with me not having Crumb Cake lol x