Saturday, November 11, 2023

First Rule of the Garage

I stumbled across a masculine card I made some time ago and hadn't posted. It uses garage-themed papers and ephemera from Mintay which I knew would go wonderfully with some Tim Holtz hardware and a few metal charms I already had in my stash. Now, I've had these tool charms for literally years and years, so I have no idea of their brand or origin but it's great to finally use them!


The hanging tools - crescent and pliers - are real metal, as is the gauge frame just above the sign (the Hardie Mfg Co. one) and the 'screws' at the corners. The rest is paper/card! 


Here you can see the layering. I attached the tools to my 'corkboard' (die cut from cork-look paper) using jump rings and brads. 

I love the background paper that looks like rusted metal plate but it stole the limelight a bit, so I applied some gesso here and there using a brayer to tone it down. The brass pipe along the right side is fussy cut from a sheet of 12x12" paper. I love, love, love the sentiment on the sign - just makes me smile every time I read this play on the famous line from Fight Club

The downside to all this metallic goodness? The card ended up being pretty hefty which means when I try to stand it up, it just falls over from all the weight on the front!!! Roflol. Ah well, the recipient will just have to prop it up or lay it down.

Materials used:
  • card - early espresso, basic black
  • papers - Garage collection (Mintay), Golden Days collection (Mintay)
  • dies - corkboard (Paper Rose)
  • Tim Holtz ideaology - machinery heads, gauge dials, metal gauge frames, jump rings, brads
  • other - gesso, brayer, mini glue dots, craft foam, Dimensionals, Big Shot

Maybe you've got something in your stash that needs to see the light of day too - go on and check it out! Remember, if you use up stuff it gives you an excuse to buy more to fill the gap left behind!!!!!! 😉

Thanks for calling in.

Cheers
Kerry

1 comment:

Rob I said...

Wow, what a stunning card. Mintay create such realistic prints. Still amazed that the pipe is paper. Looks 3D.You did a great job of layering all the elements. Hope you can give it to someone who will appreciate it. TFS