Monday, September 17, 2012

I Think I Need a 12-step Programme

They say the first step to curing an addiction is to admit you have a problem.

Hello, my name is Kerry and I am addicted to ribbon.

Sigh! I needed my always artichoke seam binding for one of today's cards and as all my reels of ribbon are jumbled into a large basket, naturally it was buried right down the bottom. After searching through the mountain a little I realised I was going to have to empty the lot out!

They used to be organised, they really did. I had them arranged in colour groupings, but as my stash grew, it got more and more difficult - and finally impossible - to add a new reel in the appropriate space. So they all just got chucked in.


Of course, what I really need is a better ribbon storage solution but I am quite at a loss as to what would suit. There are the big reels for wide stripey ribbons and the small reels for satin and seam binding (my favourites, but shhh! don't tell the others!), the larger size reels for narrow grosgrain and of course the "odds and sods" which vary in size and radius.

So, if you have a great idea for ribbon storage that (a) won't break the bank and (b) will suit all different sized spools, I would LOVE to hear it! Seriously. I will be sitting by my trusty iMac waiting for your suggestions.

Anywhoooo, if you've stuck with me this long then I think you deserve to see a card or two, so here are the ones we're making for our Christmas card stamp-a-stack this month.

This first one is cased from my upline Marelle, with a few tweaks of my own added in.



Materials used:

  • stamps - More Merry Messages
  • card - real red, white linen (non SU), champagne glitter, red glitter, silver glitter
  • other - postage stamp punch, 1" square punch, Merry Minis punches, Big Shot, snowflake embossing folder (NCA), dimensionals

Next is a more vintage style card. The centre panel has been spritzed with champagne shimmer mist and looks rather gorgeous IRL (if I do say so myself!). If you click on the second photo it shows better.




Materials used:

  • stamps - Bells & Boughs, Tiny Tags, music note wheel
  • card - crumb cake, very vanilla, cherry cobbler
  • other - blender pen, always artichoke seam binding, labels collection framelit, jewellery tag punch, dimensionals, sponge dauber, vintage wallpaper embossing folder, champagne shimmer mist

So now you know about my ribbon addiction. Don't even get me started on buttons!

Thanks for stopping by.

Cheers
Kez

5 comments:

Queenie Jeannie said...

LOVE the cards!!! Seriously awesomesauce!!!

Here is my ribbon storage (scroll down): http://happy-jeannie.blogspot.de/2012/08/the-kupsh-chalet-inside-stamping-studio.html

Nikki Spencer said...

Bahha...you crack me up Kez, but l get the whole ribbon addiction thing. Of course we need to be able to match our cardstocks and inks...exactly!..:0)
Great Christmas cards, nice use of the mini punches too.

kat said...

I not only have Stampin up ribbon, but many, many other brands as well. What finally worked for me was getting the super large Ziploc bags [2 1/2 gallon size] and sorting my ribbon by color, except the twine; it all goes in one baggie. I hope that helps although it looks like I am a big more of a hoarder than you! Good luck!

Lynda said...

You and most other crafter's my darling Kez!!! I was not a massive ribbon fan to start with, but now I have many varieties and sorts. They are sorted onto SU and then "others" but I think i have MUCH more than I ever wld have thought.
Your card are magical. I love the wee cut outs and the bling backgrounds. The poinsettia card is my fave tho...whith the speccy seam binding. ooxx

Margaret said...

I love both of your cards, but was blown away by the first one! I really didn't even consider getting the punches, but now I really think I need them!!! You also used one of my favorite winter embossing folders! The vintage card is so wonderful too!

Right now my ribbon is stored in clear plastic totes, but when I get my crafting room, I am planning on using gutters attached to the wall. Yes, gutters, like the ones attached to the roof! It can be cut to the size you need and with the caps on the ends, it looks pretty cool too. A friend of mine shared this idea and it is perfect for any size. Plus you can easily remove the roll of ribbon for a class.