Saturday, March 2, 2019

Playing with my DOs

I was inspired this morning to play with my distress oxides and just for something completely different from my usual style, tried the 'splotchy' background look. This is waaaaaaay outside the box for me and I'm not entirely sure I'm happy with it, but there you go. You've got to start somewhere, right?

As I applied my inks I dried between layers with my heat tool, then I stamped parts of the sheet music stamp using a contrast colour, stencilled the lattice design with a darker ink, then stamped with Versamark and gold embossed small splatters. Once everything was finished I applied a light coat of distress glaze, which seals and intensifies the colours. It was a thoroughly enjoyable process and I know realistically I'm just feeling uncomfortable about it because it's so far beyond my wheelhouse. Ho hum. More practise, methinks. I'll be very interested to read your comments.




Materials used:

  • stamps - Gorgeous Grunge, Sheet Music, Picture Perfect Birthday
  • card - Bermuda bay, gold foil, shimmer white
  • distress oxide inks - picked raspberry, peacock feathers, wilted violet, spiced marmalade, mermaid lagoon
  • other - stitched rectangle framelits, Big Shot, mounting tape, Versmark ink and marker, gold embossing powder, heat tool, water spritzer, embossing buddy, distress micro glaze

If you're into this look please do let me know how I've done and I'd appreciate any hints you may have for my next attempt!

Thanks for stopping by.

Cheers
Kez

3 comments:

Rob I said...

Super brave to create this background. Looks like a mixed media artist has created this, well done



Brenda in IN said...

Isn't it fun when you play and create something so pretty. The background is really pretty and I like the colors you chose. Great card.

Jean Fitch from jlfstudio said...

Very cool layered collage look. I bet it would work with Brushos too. Thanks for sharing your creative and lovely idea. Turned out beautifully.