Thursday, May 16, 2019

Whale Hello There

Two nautical posts in one day! Can you tell I'm gearing up to be on the boat? Lol.

I've made another project to decorate our boat - and replace the *cough* 'artwork' that was left behind by the previous owners. I really wanted to (a) use a distress oxide background, and (b) try out a new stamp set bought a few weeks ago. The biggest stamp in the set is rather large (it's 15cm long and 8cm high), so I began with an A4 sized sheet of heavyweight watercolour paper then cut it down a little. The open edges of my Stamparatus came in very handy to fit this mammoth piece in!

There's still a frame to find for it, but here it is so far:



Materials used:

  • stamps - Whale Nautical Series (Pink Ink Designs)
  • card - basic black, 425gsm watercolour paper
  • distress oxide inks - peacock feathers, mermaid lagoon, blueprint sketch, wilted violet (for the sea); tumbled glass, stormy sky, faded jeans, antique linen, tea dye (for the whales)
  • other - blender tools, water spritzer, glitter epoxy dots, Stamparatus, sticky strip, clear embossing powder, heat tool

I stamped the whale images on the background piece and again on a separate sheet of watercolour paper using black craft ink and embossed with clear embossing powder. They're hand cut and attached using strong adhesive after I coloured them, again using DO inks. Using the thicker watercolour paper gives more strength to the background but also dimension to the stamped whales - they almost look like they're popping off the paper! I used more images from the set - the bubbles and swirls - on my background, added some glitter epoxy dots and sponged around the outside edges with night of navy ink.

I must admit I'm in two minds about the swirls - I think they make it a little more whimsical than I would have liked - but the space looked bare and unfinished without them, so...what are you gonna do?

Can't wait to see this hanging up in situ. Only 15 more sleeps until I leave!

Thanks for dropping by.

Cheers
Kez

1 comment:

Rob I said...

Must look magnificent in real life with the whales being 3D. Wouldnt have picked the colouring done with DOs. Gee not long to go now for your holiday.