Monday, August 30, 2021

Be Curious

I had a late afternoon burst of creative energy yesterday, so decided to have a go at this week's Just Add Ink challenge.


For my "N" I chose Nature and a mixed media card and as it's almost Spring, I used soft colours.


The background was smooshed with distress oxide inks and I love, love, love the gorgeous oxidisation effect I managed to get from dusty concord - wowser, such a beautiful colour. I cut some hexagons and stencilled them with a floral pattern using texture paste and once dry, watercoloured over the paste. For my dragonfly I cut the three layers from watercolour card then used a combination of ink smooshing and watercolouring. Each layer of the wings has also been given subtle sparkle. Some rub ons added a bit of interest and the last feature was the word chip.

Here's some close ups so you can see the layers of the dragonfly and the sparkle on the wings (which is easier to see if you click on the pic to enlarge it).



Materials used:

  • card - smoky slate, basic grey, watercolour
  • distress oxide inks - dusty concord, tattered rose, squeezed lemonade, hickory smoke, twisted citron
  • Tim Holtz/Sizzix dies - Funky insects, Stacked hexagons
  • other Tim Holtz products - remnant rubs - Specimen; word chip; matte texture paste; floral stencil
  • other - stitched rectangle die, Big Shot, water spritzer, Dimensionals, heat tool, sponge dauber, water brush, clear Wink of Stella, embossing tool

Thanks for stopping by.

Cheers
Kerry


6 comments:

Patrice said...

Goodness me your backgrounds are outstanding, Kerry. Love the softer colours of this & the sparkle (of course). Thanks for sharing with us at Just Add Ink - it's great seeing you back so regularly again. x

Rob I said...

The background is absolutely stunning. A real wow!. Love the colours. The hexagons and dragonfly just go so well together. Sorry to say but my puter isnt letting me see the sparkle so I will see it when lockdown is over.

Laurie said...

This is gorgeous! I love the colours, the way you've arranged all the elements, the sparkle on the wings, and the detailed explanation of how you achieved it all. Thank you so much!

Chantell Randall said...

There is so much I love about this card - the background, interesting colours and shapes, random stamping.....wonderful! Chantell Just Add Ink

Maggie Trevena said...

Gorgeous Kerry, love the simplicity and yet detail. Great colours too.

patsy lake said...

Stunning in its simplicity Kerry. Love the colour choices, and the dragonfly is adorable..