Friday, January 20, 2023

Just Add Ink Blog Hop

At Just Add Ink challenges we're starting off the new year with a blog hop and the theme is 

If you've come from Rochelle's blog then you're in the right place. If you're starting here, you'll be able to keep following all the links to take you around the hop. 

My two favourites pasttimes are crafting (naturally) and reading - I'm rather a voracious reader and always have been and it's something I wanted to pass down to my girls. Elder Daughter seemed keen for a while  but her interest began to wane when she was in year one.

Then something happened that changed everything.

She came out of school one day chattering and excited about a book all her friends were talking about. Having never heard of it, I asked some of the other mothers, to be told it was a new phenomenon everywhere and that some of them had read it too. So I bought the book and we took turns reading it - and thus began her love for the fantasy genre and reading in general.  

The book? Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

So for my favourites project, I'd like to share an item that combines my two favourite pasttimes as well as being something I made for one of my two favourite people. 




There were lots of steps in making this, as you can imagine, but it was a labour of love. I began with making the 'book' base to support all the other bits - this is made from a wooden box (Tim Holtz vignette box) and I pretty much followed a tutorial by Tami Bastiaans here but changed a few things to suit, using a copy of the original bookcover, which is the edition we have. 

The suitcases were made using the SU retired matchbox die and some TH cracked leather cardstock. Luckily we live in a digital age, so I was able to find copies of the Hogwarts letter to Harry and his ticket for the Hogwarts Express. 

For the inside of the 'textbooks' I scanned pages from the actual book and cut them to size. The covers are TH ephemera. For the 'potions' inside the bottles I coloured glossy accents with alcohol ink, mixing them together with a toothpick. The bottles were grunged up a bit with collage medium and touches of distress crayon. I rolled up vellum for parchment (in the cauldron and down front with a quill die).


The owl was bought from a dollhouse miniatures place here in Melbourne. I did have to shave a bit off the tail to make it fit in the birdcage, lol.


As this represents Harry at the train station ready to head off to Hogwarts for the first time, I know that strictly speaking the broomstick shouldn't be there, but it was so adorable I just couldn't resist. Call it poetic licence, lol.


If you're a fellow Harry Potter fan, I hope you enjoyed that walk down memory lane! And I'm very happy to report that ED loves it.

Materials used:
  • card - Coastal (Kaisercraft), basic white, vellum
  • Tim Holtz Idea-ology - birdcage, cauldron, broomstick, potion bottles, vignette box, Memoir ephemera pack, 
  • other TH products - collage medium matte, walnut stain and vintage photo distress crayons, vintage photo archival ink, antique linen distress paint, jump rings, alcohol inks,Regions Beyond die
  • other - linen thread, computer and printer, Wee Creations miniatures, glossy accents

Thanks for calling in. I hope you find plenty to love along the hop and of course we'd love to see YOUR favourites on our challenge board this week.

Cheers
Kerry

Click on the icon below to hop to the next blog, which is Narelle.



8 comments:

Tina said...

Thud! There's my jaw hitting the ground! Wow, wow, wow! What HP fan wouldn't love this? I know that it would be right at home in my house. It's spectacular!

Lou said...

Gotta say .... I'm pretty speechless. This is absolutely amazing Kerry. Such a special keepsake for someone. The more I stare at it the more tiny elements I see. This is truly special.

Robyn Oliver said...

Absolutely brilliant Kerry... love your artwork and that you've used your favourite things to create it... don't mind Harry Potter myself

Rochelle Blok said...

This is all-round amazing Kerry! I can see why it was a labor of love. All the elements and details to make this is just out of this world amazing! Love, Love, Love! Rochelle xo

ColourmehappyDi said...

Truly a labour of love and magic, Kerry. So many wonderful details and totally brilliant.
Di :)

Tristan said...

Kerry, this creation has left me speechless - simply stunning.

Ann Alexander said...

Just amazing Kerry, the details are fabulous! xx

Jan said...

Wow, wow, wow Kerry! Such a wonderful labour of love! So many thoughtful details it truly is quite magical! xx