Friday, January 27, 2023

JAI#637 - Just Add a Sketch

At Just Add Ink this week we have a sketch to challenge you.

When you've gone to the effort to hand make a card for someone, it's often nice to stamp a little on the envelope as well. But you can take that a step further and make the envelope an integral part of the art you create. Did you know mail/envelope art is a thing? (Give it a Pinterest search, you'll be amazed.) So when this sketch immediately made me think of the back of an envelope, I couldn't get the idea of envelope art out of my head - and you know what happens then, lol. It lingers and pesters and won't go away until I sit down at my craft desk to see if my idea will actually work...

Here's the back of my envelope (made from watercolour paper).

I continued the design to the inside section too (well, only the bit that shows, lol).

And here's the front.

I used stamps for the trees on the back but a die for the front, as I did the sun/moon higher up and the die is a bit taller. The whole thing has been sprayed with fixative so nothing can happen to smudge the inks. I added an area for the addressee's details so I wouldn't have to use a special marker (to write over the fixative) but now I think I need to brush up on my calligraphy skills so the name and address will look as good as the rest!

Materials used:

  • stamps - Treeline (Tim Holtz), Birds (Lavinia Stamps)
  • card - watercolour, basic black
  • distress oxide inks - scattered straw, dried marigold, ripe persimmon
  • other - corner rounder punch, Stamparatus, blending brushes, distress micro glaze, moon mask (TH), black soot archival ink, Treeline die (TH), workable fixative spray

Do head on over to the JAI blog to see what my fellow team mates did with this sketch, and thanks for stopping by.

Cheers
Kerry

3 comments:

Tina said...

Oh my goodness! Your envelope is incredible! You are so amazing to even carry the artwork through to the inside. WOW!

Chantell Randall said...

I totally agree - this is a stunning project. I think it's too good to put in the post! I love it!

Nikki Spencer said...

LOVE this Kerry! You are always so creative and inspiring...Awesome use of the sketch!xx