Sunday, June 18, 2023

Let's Get Tropical

For some reason my blog title has been playing in my head to the tune of 'Physical' by Olivia Newton-John - and yes, I'm well aware that that dates me, lol. Let's get tropical, tropical, I wanna be tropical...'. That was so true last night when I began making this card, with rain pounding on my roof, wind rattling doors and windows and the heater chugging to keep me warm. A tropical escape seemed like just the ticket, lol. A lovely touch of escapism. 

This card is as close as I'll get to that for a while though, so I'll be sure to enjoy it. If you're languishing somewhere tropical right now, spare a thought for us winter-bound folks and have another umbrella drink. 


I'm entering this in the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge which has LOTS OF LAYERS as the theme this week and the Happy Little Stampers ANYTHING GOES WITH DIES challenge. 

Materials used:
  • card - basic white, basic black
  • distress oxide inks - tumbled glass, stormy sky, mustard seed, picked raspberry, twisted citron, mowed lawn
  • dies - Feathered Friends set 9 (Papertrey Ink), Essential Arches (Spellbinders), Tropical Leaf Bunch (SSS)
  • other - blending brushes, Big Shot, Dimensionals, craft foam, black gem, water spritzer, fan brush, Tufted 3D embossing folder (SU), YR16 & YR07 Copic markers, Wordies Sentiment Sheets (Creative Expressions)

I began with ink blending my bird using mustard seed and picked raspberry oxides. I'll admit to sneaking some Copic marker in there for the feet and beak - much easier on tiny fiddly bits. I prefer the dimension of a black gem for eyes rather than the small circle die cut piece (which I often lose anyway, lol). Once that was assembled I worked on my leaves and background, adding water splatters to both. After everything was attached on the arched background I decided I needed a simple base but with a little texture for interest, hence the dry embossing. Last was choosing and attaching the sentiment.

Hope you enjoy this touch of tropical in your day! Thanks for calling in.

Cheers
Kerry

3 comments:

Bobby said...

I love the colors of your bird, Kerry. Very tropical.

Karen Letchworth said...

This is beyond stunning, Kerry. It's very life-like and so perfectly colored.
I'd love to have you come play along with us also at Word Art Wednesday. Our challenges are always Anything Goes/Family Friendly and we have awesome prizes from our amazing sponsors. Please come join us.
www.wordartwednesday.blogspot.com

Blessings,
Karen L

The Dream Pages said...

Lovely..
Thank you for joining in at HLS die challenge
Keep safe and keep crafting
Dt Swapna