Sunday, October 9, 2011

Sydney Regionals Workshop Wow

At last I have finally gotten around to re-creating the Workshop Wow card I left with SU and can now show you the projects I presented.

I called my presentation Five Great Tips for Happy Brayering and demonstrated basic brayering technique with a little bit of masking as well, for using on backgrounds.

My Five Great Tips are:

  1. Always begin with your lightest colour first (this saves you having to clean the brayer in between if you go from lightest to darkest)
  2. Hold on to your inkpad! (learnt that one from experience!)
  3. Roll your brayer in one direction ONLY when you are inking it up (gives a more even coating of ink)
  4. Check your inking is even (turn the rubber roller to make sure the ink is even all the way around, otherwise you'll get lines)
  5. Begin brayering a little above your piece of paper (again to avoid lines, roll a couple of times above the paper then move down)
Here's my first card made with a very simple brayered background:


Materials used:
  • stamps - Growing Green, Teeny Tiny Sentiments
  • card - pretty in pink, whisper white, certainly celery, wild wasabi, pink pirouette patterned paper, watercolour paper
  • inks - certainly celery, wild wasabi, pink pirouette, pretty in pink, black StazOn, Versamark
  • other - pretty in pink satin ribbon, square lattice embossing folder, bird punch, 1" circle punch, white embossing powder, dimensionals, brayer

Then I explained how to mask for a sun or moon and gave a quick demo of how to mask for hills or mountains. Here is the finished card for that sample:


Materials used:
  • stamps - Word Play, Inspired by Nature
  • card - tangerine tango, basic black, whisper white
  • inks - calypso coral, tangerine tango, black StazOn
  • other - post it notes, dimensionals, brayer

I had other samples on display, most of which have appeared on my blog already (just use my search facility for brayering), but here are some new cards I made for samples:


Materials used:
  • stamps - Upsy Daisy
  • card - wisteria wonder, concord crush, whisper white, concord crush patterned paper
  • inks - wisteria wonder, concord crush
  • other - post it note, dimensionals, 1 3/8" circle punch, brayer

And this one, inspired by Paula Dobson, where I've brayered on very vanilla for a change:


Materials used:
  • stamps - Autumn Days
  • card - early espresso, very vanilla, crumb cake
  • inks - crumb cake, soft suede, early espresso
  • other - 1 3/8" circle punch, post it notes, brayer

Brayering is like any new skill, you just have to practice tons! Play around and try out what works for you - but most of all, HAVE FUN!

Happy Brayering!

Cheers
Kez

6 comments:

Rob I said...

goodie, thanks for sharing your colour combos. They are stunning samples

Lynda said...

All hail one of the great brayer Queens!!! Kerry...u truely have a gift for this technique. I think my faves are #'s 2 nd 4 but mainly because they are in my fave palates. I have taken on board ur 5 top brayering tips and if/when I ever try again...will keep them in mid. I am now off to ogle them s'more!! ooxx

Cheryl said...

OMG WOW they are all SPECTACULAR!!! I wanted to start brayering,purchased the roller about 2 years ago and never did it........and don't think I will now,just no time to practise...lol...!!
xx

Robyn P said...

I can see why SU invited you to demo this technique at regionals. Your cards are gorgeous and you clearly are the brayering queen :)

Andrea said...

congrats on being asked to present at Regional's. I love your cards and tips. I have been experimenting with brayering lately. It looks great once you have mastered it.

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

Definitely a Workshop WOW!, Kerry! I wish I had seen it ... but sadly I had a triple booking that weekend! Hugs xx