Wednesday, September 22, 2021

The Card Concept Challenge - Sunflowers

Hello and welcome! It's time for another challenge with The Card Concept so here's our pic to inspire you:

Anyone in the mood for retro? As luck would have it, I had some vintage Graphic 45 papers on hand that were perfect for this theme (you all know how difficult it is to throw stuff away, right?). I took the flowers and gingham pattern as my inspirations and chose a mix of vintage and layered styles with lots of sponged edges for a retro look.


Materials used:

  • stamps - Celebrate Sunflowers (SU), Harlequin background (Darkroom Door) 
  • card - basic black, French Country patterned papers (Graphic 45), basic white
  • other - fired brick distress oxide ink and embossing glaze, heat tool, stitched frame dies, Big Shot, sponge dauber, Dimensionals, craft foam, faceted gems, Copic markers, SU Stampin' Blends, vintage photo distress oxide ink and distress archival ink

Once I'd decided which papers I would use and in which order they'd be layered, I started with picking a sentiment and a size-appropriate die. I went two sizes of die bigger for the gingham layer and both these papers were sponged with vintage photo distress ink. On my brick red piece I did a partial stamp of a harlequin pattern using fired brick distress oxide ink and then applying embossing glaze in the same colour. Doing a partial stamping (ie uneven, not a completely solid image) adds to the shabby/vintage look. Once this was heated, it too was sponged then matted on a narrow border of black card and attached to the next layer of yellow paper. More sponging around the edges. Finally, it was attached to the sunflower paper and black card base. Next I stamped and coloured my sunflowers, fussy cutting them (and a light sponging of the edges), and the final touch was the two small faceted gems to embellish. 

We'd love you to check out the rest of the team's creations - and, of course, to join in our challenge!

Thanks for dropping by.

Cheers
Kerry


 

2 comments:

Julie Gearinger said...

Kerry, this card is absolutely perfect for our challenge! I recognized the G45 papers from French Country, right? French Country was one of my favorite collections of theirs and I have several sheets remaining as well (so hard to part with gorgeous papers, lol!). Love all of the details and the colors- great job sweet friend!

Vicky Hayes said...

You've rocked this style Kerry! Love those beautiful sunflowers and the combination of patterns. Vicky x