Wednesday, October 6, 2021

The Card Concept Challenge - Harvest Adventures

Hi everyone and welcome to another challenge with The Card Concept. Here's our inspiration picture to get your creative juices flowing:


My mixed media card was inspired by the pumpkins as well as those beautiful leaves from the background. As it's all done on thick watercolour card, there's a lovely texture to everything that makes me want to touch, lol!



I had on hand some smooshed ink pieces in oranges and greens, so I made up some yellows, browns and blue/greys. Distress crayons were used for shading and highlighting on the pumpkins and all the leaves had their edges sponged. My background piece is just watercolour card spritzed with antique linen oxide spray and left to dry - don't you love the little blue-ish speckles in it? That's just from oxidisation; gotta love that! As I didn't have any card in the right colour for my base, I used white, sponging the edges with blue ink then randomly stamping a plaid pattern around in blue/grey - I love how that turned out, so I'll be using that method again! I gave it a gentle spritz with water to blend and soften it a bit, then sponged the edges and called it done.


Materials used:
  • stamps - Pretty Pumpkins (Stampin' Up), Perfect Plaids (Tim Holtz)
  • card - watercolour, early espresso
  • distress spray stains/oxide sprays - fossilized amber, mustard seed, wild honey, carved pumpkin, crackling campfire, dried marigold, peeled paint, forest moss, antique linen, iced spruce, walnut stain, evergreen bough, speckled egg, frayed burlap, gathered twigs
  • distress crayons - spiced marmalade, crackling campfire, iced spruce, antique linen, hickory smoke, gathered twigs
  • distress archival ink. - vintage photo, ground espresso
  • pumpkin dies - Layering Pumpkin (Honey Bee Stamps), Autumn Elements (Karen Burniston), Halloween Pumpkin (stash)
  • Leaf dies - Fall Foliage (Tim Holtz)
  • other - MISTI, craft foam, stitched rectangle die, Big Shot, heat tool, sponge dauber, Dimensionals, blending brush

We'd love you to create your own card inspired by the photo so do pop over to the Card Concept blog to see the other samples made by my fellow team members.

Thanks for stopping by.

Cheers
Kerry

5 comments:

Julie Gearinger said...

Kerry, what a gorgeous mixed media card! Love the colors of the pumpkins, the leaves and of course, the sentiment! Great job and perfect for our challenge- hugs!

Maggie Trevena said...

I love this Kerry, the colours and texture are beautiful.

Michele K. Henderson said...

These pretty pumpkins have me ready for fall! Great colors and a fun design!
Take care!
Michele

Rob I said...

You certainly nailed the pumpkins. They look fantastic, the colours are brilliant. Lots of smooshing that's for sure. The leaf arrangement certainly provides the rustic look. TFS

LeAnne said...

This is AMAZING!! I wish I could make my pumpkins look like that! I'll have to seriously attempt to try to make them the way you do....they're stunning!